11/5/11

Adoption Education

Okay...so I promised a while back that I would write about some of the things we've learned SO FAR through our adoption journey - adoption language, open adoption, adoption not being plan "B", the fact that adoption does NOT replace the pain of infertility, etc.

So, first up - positive adoption language (see a great summary article here).

Here's a few words/phrases that I never realized were hurtful or inaccurate until I started really learning about adoption:

  1. "real parents" - our child will have birth parents (or, biological parents), but we will be their real parents, the ones making everyday parenting decisions, providing for him/her, the ones raising him/her (we're not imaginary, as opposed to "real")
  2. "giving up a child for adoption" - our agency uses the word "placement".  The birthparents in our special situation will choose to place their child - an extremely painful, courageous choice.  
  3. "she's going to keep it" - if, in the end, God leads a birth mother/parents to have a change of heart, she is choosing to parent, instead of choosing to place.
I hope this helps!  These terms have already become a completely natural part of our vocabulary, and I hope they will for you, too.

1 comments:

Jenn said...

Yeah, Jenny! I love this. #1 stings so badly when people say it. I try to approach it with grace and politely correct them.... but it can be so hard sometimes, especially when someone close to you says it. Keep the adoption education coming!

Post a Comment

I love comments!!!