9/27/10

IUI

For my non-fertility savvy friends, that stands for Intra Uterine Insemination, or, IUI. We are now going through our first cycle where we are using physician assistance. While this is our second cycle of me using a drug called Clomid, this is the first time we will follow the reproductive endocrinologist’s suggestion of also doing IUI (taking Clomid without doing an IUI was against his professional advice). This cycle, I have already had one ultrasound (a baseline on cycle day 3 to ensure I have no cysts), I will have another one this coming Wednesday (CD 12), and he will determine based on what he sees if he will also prescribe a “trigger shot,” which is a medication that essentially forces the follicle to release the egg it is growing. Then, as soon as I know I am about to ovulate (either by trigger or by ovulation predictor tests done at home), off to the office we go.

Wow. Writing all that out makes it all seem so clinical. And, in all reality, it is. I think this is one of the biggest struggles of this stage of our journey, especially for Ben. Who imagines that they will conceive a child by “alternative” means? I mean, seriously. This child, if this is how God chooses to bless us, will be 100% me and Ben. But we won’t have any crazy conception story about one too many drinks, or a romantic weekend away, a forgotten birth control pill or anything like that. I know we are at this stage, but I’m not even sure I’ve fully accepted where we’re at.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Honestly...it is pretty clinical. But that in itself is a crazy conception story! Think about it...not everyone gets to see part of their potential children before hand! The rest of the world gets normal conception stories and those of us with IUI and IVF stories...we get the crazy/exciting stories! :)

Back to the clinicalness...Everything from the collection to the inseminiation on the day of the IUI seems very very clinical. But we just made the most of it...laughing about how ridiculous it all was, going out for breakfast between the collection and insemination, having some good talks while I was laying on the table for the 30 minute wait afterwards, watching TV for the rest of the day at the hotel (our RE is 4 hours away), etc. Try not to let the clinicalness (not sure if that is really a word) get you down, instead enjoy it and make it a memorable day!

Kierra said...

Well, HI! Welcome to Blog Land! I am so happy to see you here!

I am sending up prayers for you that all that clinical-ness turns into a miracle for you guys! :)

Val said...

Okay... first of all... i can't believe you have a blog and i had to find out by seeing you were a follower of Kierra's!!! but...im over it and happy you are here. Second... I am sure this time is hard for the both of you and not exactly how you have always imagined having children to be like... but you know it and so do I, most of the way we imagine things is not the way God does... and He has the final say! :) I really liked what Lisa said... make the most of it. Your child will know from this story that they were truly wanted!!!!

Jenny S said...

Thank you Lisa - your words have been so wise and encouraging! Thank you for reading!

Kierra - thanks friend. I love your blog - I hope mine is informative, or maybe even entertaining. :)

Val - I am a follower on yours too!!! I didn't advertise that I started this. I am hoping it might be a way for me to attempt to deal with all the things that come with being on this oftentimes horrific journey. Thank you for reading, though, and for your reminders. Thank you for your last words - that through this story, any child the Lord blesses us with will know they were wanted, and that their life will serve a great purpose. Love you SO much.

Post a Comment

I love comments!!!