10/27/10

Oh...Job...

Stick with me - these verses are a bit long!

So Ben and I been doing a 60-day overview of the Bible for our devtionals.  Two days ago, we read in Job and I was just so convicted.   

Job, who suffered and suffered, and suffered, is able to say this at the epilogue of the book (Chapter 42):

Job Responds to the Lord
 1 Then Job replied to the Lord:
 2 “I know that you can do anything,
      and no one can stop you.
 3 You asked, ‘Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?’
      It is I—and I was talking about things I knew nothing about,
      things far too wonderful for me.
 4 You said, ‘Listen and I will speak!
      I have some questions for you,
      and you must answer them.’
 5 I had only heard about you before,
      but now I have seen you with my own eyes.
 6 I take back everything I said,
      and I sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance.” 

And then, the next day, we read in Psalm 51.  Talk about conviction.

Psalm 51
1 Have mercy on me, O God,
       according to your unfailing love;
       according to your great compassion
       blot out my transgressions.
 2 Wash away all my iniquity
       and cleanse me from my sin.
 3 For I know my transgressions,
       and my sin is always before me.
 4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
       and done what is evil in your sight,
       so that you are proved right when you speak
       and justified when you judge.
 ... 6 Surely you desire truth in the inner parts [a] ;
       you teach [b] me wisdom in the inmost place.
 7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
       wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
 8 Let me hear joy and gladness;
       let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
 9 Hide your face from my sins
       and blot out all my iniquity.
 10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
       and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
 11 Do not cast me from your presence
       or take your Holy Spirit from me.
 12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
       and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
... 15 O Lord, open my lips,
       and my mouth will declare your praise.

And finally, I was reminded of Lamentations 3:22-24:

 22 The faithful love of the Lord never ends!
      His mercies never cease.
 23 Great is his faithfulness;
      his mercies begin afresh each morning.
 24 I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance;
      therefore, I will hope in him!”

So, there is my recent journey through Scripture that has reminded me that others have suffered in much greater ways than I, and the Lord was faithful through it all (Job was made twice as prosperous after his long period of hardship).  I was reminded to confess my sins, my dark heart before the pure and Holy and just God.  And finally, I was reminded that this same God is merciful and gracious, and he blesses me anew every morning.  I hope this may bring hope and encouragement to others.

2 comments:

Kierra said...

Love it.

I thought of Isaiah as I read through your scriptures and the rituals of the ancient temple and tabernacle. I think of the high priest, sprinkled in the blood of the lamb in preparation to enter the holy of holies, and I am grateful that we have all been washed clean in His blood, that we are all worthy to enter into His presence. He purifies us and refines us through our trials and makes up the difference in the end. ((HUGS)) trials might be for our good, but that doesn't make them easier as we go through them. I am glad you found some comfort. Thinking of you often, friend!

Lisa said...

Wow, great reminders!

Post a Comment

I love comments!!!